all For Nominations – 2016
MARTIN ENNALS AWARD
FOR HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS
Deadline: 9 November 2015
(PLEASE NOTE THE NOMINATION DEADLINE IS ONE MONTH EARLIER THIS YEAR)
Nominations can be submitted electronically at www.martinennalsaward.org
- The Award is granted annually to an individual, or exceptionally an organisation, in recognition of their commitment and ongoing efforts in the defence and promotion of human rights.
- The MEA aims to encourage individuals or organisations, particularly those who are working in conditions hostile to fundamental human rights and who are in need of protection.
- Nominees must be currently involved in work for the promotion and protection of human rights.
- Special account is taken of those who are at risk and have demonstrated an active record of combating human rights violations by courageous and innovative means.
- Nominations are welcome from all regions, genders, and human rights related themes
The Award is selected by the following Organizations:
- International Commission of Jurists
- Human Rights Watch
- Human Rights First
- Front Line Defenders
- EWDE Germany
- Amnesty International
The present value of the annual Award is 20’000 Swiss Francs, to be used for further work in the field of human rights. The Ceremony is hosted by the City of Geneva in late 2016. They provide each of the final three nominees with project funds of 11’650 CHF and a 5’000 CHF travel grant.
Martin Ennals (1927-1991) was instrumental to the modern human rights movement. He creatively pursued ideas ahead of his time and was the driving force behind other organisations. His deep desire was to see more cooperation among NGOs.